Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm having new Dell studio 1749 laptop with one partition (C). there is another backup partition - hidden. How can I create new partition for all the files and the other stuff to be seperated from the C partition? I'm looking for a clean and simple way to do it, thanks!

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Easiest way to do this is to first defrag your hard drive -this moves everything to the front of the drive.

Next, go in to Computer Management > Disk Management and right click the main partition and choose Shrink.

After you have done this, create a new partition in the now free space.

This should work, but if this doesn't work, try downloading and using Gparted.

If you want more details on any step, please say and I will go in to it in more detail.

share|improve this answer
I will check this :-) So, I understand from you that I don't have to install third party application? just in case that the steps you wrote won't work? Will those steps might make my disk corrupted? thanks! – Tamir May 31 '10 at 14:51
As long as your computer doesn't crash or get unplugged during the middle, all of these steps should not cause any damage. – William Hilsum May 31 '10 at 15:00
Do you know if I'll be able to roll back the new partition into the currrent main partition? – Tamir Jun 1 '10 at 6:17
At any point you should be able to remove/delete the new one and grow the original one. FYI, the reason I say to do defrag first is otherwise, you will only be able to shrink up to wherever the last byte is written... defragging first means you can shrink a lot more. – William Hilsum Jun 1 '10 at 12:23
thanks :-) I'll try this is the next days. many thanks for your kind help! – Tamir Jun 1 '10 at 12:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .