Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently started using Linux and was floored by the ease with which windows can be moved and resized with simple keyboard combinations using Compiz. If I want to move a terminal to top-right of the screen a simple CTRL+ALT+Numpad9 does the trick for me, and it resizes the window at the same time. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

I would like to know if there is a way to do this in windows.


share|improve this question

migrated from Jun 3 '10 at 3:00

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

I forgot to clarify that I am looking to do this on Windows Vista ... man, this makes me want to upgrade even more. – nestling Jun 3 '10 at 3:22
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You should check out WinSplit Revolution, it has what you need and is customizable.

alt text

share|improve this answer
Thanks a lot man! This is exactly what I'm looking for! – nestling Jun 4 '10 at 17:25

If you're on an older version of Windows, the old standby is Alt+Space to get the system menu, M and then the arrow keys to move the window around. If you're maximized, first you need to hit R on the system menu, which will un-maximize you. Not as elegant, but it works in a pinch.

share|improve this answer
It should be Alt+Space :) – Ranhiru Cooray Jun 3 '10 at 4:36
So true. I even tried it out a few times without realizing that I wasn't hitting the keys that I thought I was hitting, how embarrassing. – dsolimano Jun 3 '10 at 12:04

Windows 7 has the Snap feature which can be done with keyboard or mouse.

Keyboard shortcuts:

Snap left: Windows + Left arrow

Snap right: Windows + Right arrow

Full screen: Windows + Up arrow

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.