Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there such keyboard shortcut can do page left/right? Or any 3rd party tools? The reason ask this is because when coding or debugging, there are too many chances need to read very long message, but I'd prefer not to wrap text. Thanks.

EDIT: what if for the case when viewing webpage, and the line extends outside the boundary? I know all mentioned methods, but it's still too slow, I am looking for scrolling a page at a time. Thanks.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The following AutoHotkey script will make Alt+Page Up and Alt+Page Down work like "page left" and "page right" in some programs.

  ControlGetFocus, control, A
  SendMessage, 0x114, 2, 0, %control%, A

  ControlGetFocus, control, A
  SendMessage, 0x114, 3, 0, %control%, A

For example, the script works for me in Windows XP Notepad, Wordpad, Visual Studio Express 2008, and Internet Explorer 7. The script doesn't work for me in 2.3, Chrome 4.0, Firefox 3.0, and Opera 10.01. (Although Opera already has Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down keys built-in for page left and right.)

share|improve this answer
I noticed something in common among the programs that this script works on. If you right-click on the scroll bar, you'll get a context menu with items like Scroll Here, Left Edge, Right Edge, Page Left, Page Right, Scroll Left, Scroll Right. Thus, you can check for a scroll bar context menu to predict if this script will work with a program. – Bavi_H Jun 26 '10 at 15:47
I can't get the following to work in W7. Do you know if the commands have changed? – William Mar 24 '14 at 22:39
Ignore the last comment. I just can't get the following to work +^AppsKey:: ControlGetFocus, control, A SendMessage, 0x114, 2, 0, %control%, A Return – William Mar 25 '14 at 0:07

You could get a mouse that supports horizontal scroll.

Or if you really want a keyboard shortcut, you can use Control + Left / Right to move a word at a time, which is faster then plain Left / Right but more granular then Home / End.

share|improve this answer
most mice do support horizontal scroll - the middle mouse button will enable this – JT.WK Jun 8 '10 at 4:34

The 'Home' and 'End' keys will take you to the beginning and end of the line, respectively. This will only work if the cursor is on the line that extends past the screen boundaries.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .