Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I had to reinstall Vista and all of my programs and I want to know how to copy my that I have saved on a flash drive into the word 2003 program.

share|improve this question

The file is located at Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates where Username is the account name you used to log in.

According to this Microsoft article the template is created the first time you run Word. So there won't be a file in this location until you run Word once.

I use Windows XP, so the following instructions might be off by a bit, but I think they will work.

  • open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) by holding down the Windows key and pressing E.
  • Navigate to c:\Documents and Settings
  • You should see a number of folders with people's names (account names) on them. One will have the name of your account on it. This is often your name or nickname (it depends what you called the account when you installed Windows). Select this folder.
  • This will contain a folder called Application Data. Select this folder.
  • This will contain a folder called Microsoft. Select this folder.
  • This will contain a folder called Templates. Select this folder.
  • Drag the file from the flash drive to this folder.
share|improve this answer
Actually, I am a dunce. I have no clue how to do that. I have been trying to drag normal from my flash drive to normal in my work program, but it doesn't work. – Carole Jun 9 '10 at 0:50
Yay!! It worked. Thank you so very much!! I sure do appreciate your help. I have been very stressed out about all of this. Thanks again!! – Carole Jun 9 '10 at 1:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.