Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is plugged into a friends computer and they have no idea what it is. Any ideas?

mysterious electric hockey puck

share|improve this question
Does it have anything on the bottom? Is it plugged in using USB? Any other ports? –  BloodPhilia Jun 12 '10 at 19:14
It looks like an antenna to me. Is there a part number on it? –  Wayne Johnston Jun 12 '10 at 20:43
Is that a LED in the lower right corner ? This, from all possible, is most ungratifying an angle for identifying devices such as these. I mean, what could one conclude from an angle such as this, apart from the fact that this could be a clever Dell shadow commercial ... –  ldigas Jun 12 '10 at 20:59
Btw, you said it is plugged in ... what happens when they unplug it ? –  ldigas Jun 12 '10 at 21:00
it is plugged in apparently to ac, nothing is detected or lights up, or appears to happen, but someone hooked it up when they got it, and have no idea what it is. It is under the desk, and I am on the opposite coast. I will try to get them to look for a part number. I only hoped someone on here might actually have used one and knew. Thanks –  datatoo Jun 13 '10 at 2:09

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is a "Dell Wireless Antenna WX492" supplied with a 1.5m cable and plugged on a semi-height PCI interface named "Dell Wireless 1505" for desktop or "Dell TK208" mini PCI Express card for laptops.

In brief: this is a wireless antenna :)

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the info. They have never noticed one way or the other what did or did not work when it was disconnected –  datatoo Jul 5 '11 at 16:19
You're welcome ! Maybe their router is right next to the tower and the signal is good even without the antenna ? –  Shadok Jul 6 '11 at 12:46
sounds like a possible explanation –  datatoo Jul 6 '11 at 22:03
I am marking this as an answer, even though I don't know one way or the other. This seems like the likely explanation –  datatoo Aug 24 '11 at 15:12
Thanks, maybe this google search will help you decide :) bit.ly/prKABn –  Shadok Aug 24 '11 at 15:34

I have seen similar Dell devices being either composite (RCA) extension jacks, or IR receivers for media centre remotes. Hope that helps! (Note it's also easy to just search Google with the Dell P/N which should be on a label on the back or bottom).

share|improve this answer
that seems like a likely explanation. I will see what further I can discover. –  datatoo Jun 13 '10 at 2:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.