Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A portion of my laptop screen broke. Is there method I can use to resize the screen so that no window appears on the broken part of the screen? It's like 1/6 of the screen on the right that makes anything over there impossible to see.

share|improve this question

migrated from Jun 13 '10 at 2:32

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

may i ask what kind of program you're talking about? – Babiker Jun 13 '10 at 1:36
Possible duplicate of How to use only part of screen, as if the monitor was a smaller one? – user33758 Jan 8 at 2:14
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Given the right video driver, you can configure a custom resolution for the Display control panel that cuts off pixels - eg 1066 x 1024 instead of 1280 x 1024.

Though, this question might be better placed on Super User ... as it's not really a programming problem.

share|improve this answer
@Bevan I am now in this same situation, but I don't know if your answer really solves the problem the way Devoted wants. I personally would like to keep the resolution the same, but prevent a portion from being used. By changing the display resolution, you inevitably end up with jaggies on-screen. – Dave May 20 '11 at 19:17
@Dave - if you have the right video driver, you can go to a custom resolution without scaling - effectively you configure a margin of the screen that isn't used, avoiding the damaged part of the screen without introducing jaggies. – Bevan May 20 '11 at 21:45
what about shifting the screen real estate? I haven't seen something like that before. My current laptop driver does indeed let me avoid rescaling, but then I have to have the contents centered, which still overlaps the damaged region. – Dave May 20 '11 at 22:57
@Dave That's close to what I've seen. With the right video driver (caveat: one might not exist for your particular chipset), you aren't limited to centering your reduced resolution, but can move it to avoid the damaged part of the screen. – Bevan May 21 '11 at 10:08

I'm not sure if this is what you need.

Check GridMove and Sizer at: and

Sizer is more manual, Gridmove I think is more automated. I have never tried them yet.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .