Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a number of references in Word 2007; there is several way of referencing them and the one I find the most fitting is purely numeric, e.g. (3) for reference number 3 in the list. But since I reference equations by round parenthesis, I'd like to change the literature references to square brackets.

How can I do that ?

share|improve this question
Is this similar to… ? – AdamV Jun 14 '10 at 15:33
@AdamV - yes, I believe so. I saw that one in my quick search. Unfortunatelly, I've found no way of contacting the author of both the question and the answer. – Rook Jun 14 '10 at 15:39
While this is a duplicate of that question, the answer to it is not very helpful. At any rate, this question could likely produce a better answer than the one already asked. – Emory Bell Jun 14 '10 at 15:39
up vote 1 down vote accepted

You can add / change the referencing styles in Word 2007 by the addition / modification of some XSLT (XML Stylesheet) files. By default these files can be found in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\1033\Bibliography\Style.

I'm afriad I have no direct personal experience of editing these files, only installing a pre-build additional style (which is simply achieved by placing the new .xsl in to the folder quoted about).

Cloning the style you are currently using and tweaking it might give you a starting point, but you might want to look at the following first:

share|improve this answer
I'll try to follow those instructions then. Best advice yet ;-) Thank you. – Rook Jun 15 '10 at 16:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.