Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Word document for users to fill in with a number of headings. I would like them to fill in text in the blank spaces, but without the page shifting down as they type (so in essence they would have a fixed space to enter their answers).

Is there any way to do this? The only way I'm aware of which is using the "Text box" shape, which isn't ideal.


share|improve this question

Im not sure why the text box is a bad idea, you can hide the border so it merges with the word document and will not affect the layout of the document.

share|improve this answer

You could use tables (with visible or invisible borders, your choice) and set the row height to an "exact" height rather than "at least" or auto.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.