Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to switch the shift key with the capslock key?

I have a problem with the shift keys, and I would like to use the caps lock keys, instead of the left shift key. Mac OS X settings allow to modify the keys used for some modifiers, but it doesnt't allow to change the key used for the shift key, nor to select the shift keys as alternative key for another modifier.

share|improve this question

You might try "DoubleCommand". I needed to use it for something similar; I'm not sure if it supports remapping the shift and capslock keys.

share|improve this answer
DoubleCommand allows a lot of re-mappings, but strangely it doesn't allow to swap shift keys and caps lock. – kiamlaluno Jun 20 '10 at 23:15
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I found, which allows, in example, to swap fn with left shift (it actually allows to remap fn to left shift, and left shift to fn, among other things).

share|improve this answer

I've never used it but perhaps Ukelele could work for this. Excerpt:

Ukelele aims to simplify keyboard layout editing by providing a graphical interface to .keylayout files, where the desired characters can simply be dragged onto keys as needed. (The Character Palette, available in the Input menu if it has been enabled in System Preferences, is a great place to find the characters.)

In addition to simple assignment of single character codes to keys, Ukelele can assign multiple-character strings and can create "dead keys", where a keystroke sets a new state that modifies the output of the following keystroke.

share|improve this answer
I already tried it, but it doesn't seem to work for the modifier keys. I tried the function "Swap Keys", but it doesn't work, even when I try with keys like A, and C. – kiamlaluno Jun 20 '10 at 17:49

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .