I was facing this issue today on Windows 8 and have noticed it on previously on Windows 7 as well. I finally found a way to do this right and I hope this answer helps the original posters and others who come here via google searches.
Typically for normal as well as advanced power searches I used Nirsoft SearchMyFiles and stopped using Windows Search.
But, for some reason I was having trouble getting it to find files without any extensions. I figured the same bug was there in this app as well.
But, I was wrong and apparently Nir Softer has redesigned his wild card & regular expression engine from scratch; as per this little gem I found posted on the page in "Versions History" section:
- Version 2.40:
- SearchMyFiles now uses an internal wildcard parser instead of basing the search result on the wildcard parser of Windows. This
change solves an annoying bug caused by Windows wildcard parser: In
previous versions, SearchMyFiles sometimes returned incorrect results,
because Windows also matches the wildcard with the short filename (8.3
- Notice: The new wildcard parser may cause some compatibility issues, for example: When you scanned using . wildcard with Windows
parser, it returned all files, including files without extension. With
the new SearchMyFiles wildcard parser, . returns only files with
extension. In order to return all files, you should use * instead of
- When loading old config files, SearchMyFiles automatically converts all . wildcards to *
- The new wildcard parser has some advantages, for example: if you search for ..., you'll get all files with 3 dot characters or
more. With Windows wildcard parser in previous versions, you simply
got the list of all files.
- You can now exclude files by using wildcards list. You have to select this option from the combo-box, because the default option is
to exclude files by extension.
- You can now specify environment strings in the 'Base Folders' and 'Excluded Folders' fields (For example: %AppData% )
So to find files without extensions don't use these:
*.* or *.
Just use a simple:
For example :
Files Wildcard: *
Subfolders Wildcard: *
File Size: At most: 4 KB / 4096 Bytes
Note: Please don't go by the wild cards shown in the 'old' screenshot posted above.