Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When typing in text entry fields in a browser on my netbook, I'll sometimes lose the ability to type the angle brackets; holding shift and typing those characters gives me the comma and period characters.

This doesn't seem to be dependent on browser - this machine has both Chrome and Firefox installed, and it's an intermittent problem. It's also not based on what page I'm on, it's happened on different sites (including

Another oddity: It starts up usually in the middle of typing. I was able to type the angle brackets when I opened this page, but not after typing a few lines.

I'm at wit's end and tearing my hair out. I know that this isn't a clearly defined question, but it's as clear as I can get it!

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Try pressing left ctrl + left shift and see if that fixes it.

share|improve this answer
That's done it! Thanks; what does that key combo do? Some sort of mode change? – neilfein Jun 28 '10 at 20:04
It changes the keyboard layout and switches to a foreign, secondary layout. Good it worked for you! – BloodPhilia Jun 28 '10 at 20:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .