I just did a routine upgrade of my Firefox from 3.6.4 to 3.6.6 and lost most of my bookmarks. The bookmarks I have now are the ones I had about six months ago. Nothing that happened during the update process indicated any kind of problem to me (warnings, crashes, "unable to update foo at this time" messages). I did update a handful of add-ons for 3.6.6; mostly big ones like AdBlock Plus, Greasemonkey and the like.
I've found three resources about this but none were useful:
- SU question about FF bookmark loss
- No luck, the last backup was made today after the problem started, and the previous one was made six months ago
- Mozilla forum thread about bookmark issues
- Last activity in 2006, and it only describes pre-FF3 bookmarks
- Mozilla forum thread about profiles
- Simply didn't work
The one thing I did glean from those resources is that FF seems to like to keep lots of copies of bookmarks around. Is there somewhere else I can go to manually restore the old ones, or at least find the URLs so I can load them and re-bookmark them manually? A more automatic solution would be preferred, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that.