I recently got some malware on a machine that I don't use for much (partly intentional). I've cleaned it, but now everytime I open any .exe the 'Run As' dialog pops up asking me which user I want to use to run the program.
What causes this, and what's the fix for it?
edit> My process to remove the malware was as such:
- Disconnected from the network
- Deleted DisableTaskMgr reg key
- Inspected with Process Explorer and Task Manager and noticed that all applications were being run within another executable located in Documents and Settings...\Temp\Some.exe
- The system tray application was also in Documents and Settings...\Temp\SomeOther.exe
- I suspected that a service was in place as the system tray application would restart if it was killed, but couldn't find any service that I didn't recognize.
- Removed permissions from Some.exe and SomeOther.exe (on those files only)
- Restarted and deleted Some.exe and SomeOther.exe
- Deleted startup entries that were created
- Ran AVG Free and Windows Defender to remove anything else (they would be killed immediately before the two .exe's were removed)
- Cleaned registry via CCleaner
note that system restores would finish saying something to the effect of 'couldn't restore system: there were no changes made'. I attempted to restore to a week ago, and I only got the malware yesterday.