Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been searching all day for this and maybe someone here can help.

I have a file that was compressed using THEOS's Compres command. Without access to a THEOS box and no login for their webisite to get the SDK is there any program that will expand the .CMP files I have under windows or linux?

share|improve this question
Is Compres a typo? – Hello71 Jul 8 '10 at 18:44
@Hello71 No, in THEOS the utility to compress a file is called "compres". I think it is a number of characters in the file name issue. – Scott Chamberlain Jul 8 '10 at 18:51

Considering the (very!) early ancestors of THEOS are from the Homo-CP/M family... it is very possible that the CP/M compress/uncompress program MAY work, or at least help move you forward.

If you could look at the beginning of the THEOS file, (with a hex-editor) it's very possible to get a good idea of what kind of compression method was used. For the most part, in those days, they used a modified huffman encoding using binary trees. You should be able to see a sort of 'dictionary' near the beginning of the file which defines the tree elements, and the rest of the file is considered as a bit-stream, matching up bit patterns to the dictionary 'words'.

Of course, this is wild conjecture and educated guessing, based on my own experiences with CP/M and it's various hairy descendants.

share|improve this answer
up vote 0 down vote accepted

The issue was the process of transferring the file out of THEOS, it was transferring to the ZIP disk as a text file, not binary, so it was adding \r for every \n it would see in the file.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.