I have been impressed with the improvements in search introduced in Outlook 2010. Unfortunately, in the last week search has stopped working for me.
I have tried all the obvious repair tasks such as repairing office, disabling all add-ins, rebuilding the index, compacting the PST, but no luck.
It appears that 'mssphtb.dll' (Used by search) keeps crashing and as a result Outlook Disables it. I have tried re-enabling it, but Outlook immediately disables it again.
I have had a look in the Windows Event Log as well, but Outlook does not appear to log any errors that occur when loading add-ins.
A lot of people appear to have the same problem, but no fixes so far.
I am considering installing Xobni, but I prefer to make Outlook work the way it is supposed to and not rely on 3rd party applications.