uTorrent has a detailed explanation including every detail you should know to create and upload a torrent:
How to Make a Torrent
I'd like to point out the things you must consider beforehand:
Things to consider before making a torrent
- Before you make a torrent, it would be wise to pick a site and review its
policies and rules, which can be found
in their FAQ section.
- Your site of choice may have restrictions about content; some do
not allow porn, some specialize in
specific type of content (such as
music, or anime).
- Your site of choice may also have some specific requirements about
content and demand that you add some
extras to your torrent such as
signature files and ads.
- Some public sites require registration for uploading; all
private sites do.
- It is important to consider the size of your content for two reasons:
first, not everyone has sufficient
disk space for very large torrents;
and second, larger torrents require
longer seeding times. In such cases
consider making multiple torrents
based on some practical partition such
as years, season, parts.
- Before making your torrent, select your content's location carefully as
it will have to remain there (during
initial seeding at least).
- The files in your content must not be modified after you have made the
torrent, as this would cause
corruption in the torrent.
- Make sure the files are not in use while you make the torrent.
- There is no need to compress multiple files into one archive. Many
torrenters find it annoying. It also
requires twice the space: once for the
original and once for the archive.
- You may wish to make a torrent for exclusive distribution among friends
and family. In such case, you may
choose to distribute your torrent in
some other manner.