Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My Sony Vaio PCG-Z505S has a strange, flat Ethernet connector that looks like this:

enter image description here

The laptop came with an adapter to connect a normal "RJ45" network cable to it, but I have lost it. Now I'm wondering if anyone knows (or is smart enough to google) the name of the connector so that I might be able to find another such adapter to buy.

share|improve this question
These types of connectors were (to the best of my knowledge) never standardized, so it might not have a name. You might be able to call Sony and get a part number for the dongle, though. That combined with Google should get you a name. – Jack M. Jul 15 '10 at 16:05
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Contact Sony to determine the correct part number for your Model, then use Google to locate a used or new old stock one.

Might be cheaper to buy a usb ethernet adapter.

share|improve this answer
Thanks, contacting Sony worked it out: it's a part n:o 195986911, "HARNESS, RJ45", and available for $76.15. Since the value of the laptop itself is likely not much higher than that, with a practically dead battery, I'm gonna think about the purchase for a while.. I'll try a cheap USB adapter first, though the OS being Windows 98 (not SE, but the plain old one) makes things complicated with almost all things USB. – Pahkasika Jul 19 '10 at 9:50
You might be able to find a W98SE upgrade disc on eBay for cheap. You would think Sony would greatly reduce the price of that cable just to get it out of inventory. – Moab Jul 19 '10 at 14:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.