Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

on my desk top i have modem connected to my computer for a wired connection i am thinking of buying a wirless linksys router to connect to my modem i just bought another desktop and i want to use a wireless usb can that be done

share|improve this question

closed as too broad by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, Jens Erat, random Mar 8 '14 at 13:21

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You could. Generally modem (with ethernet) -> router -> computer will work.

Personally i find that internal PCI cards are easier for desktops than USB keys, but there's no reason a USB wireless dongle will not work

share|improve this answer

That works but I'd prefer to put a cable if possible... I used 4 different types wireless cards(2) and USB(2) for 2 years and now the 4 pcs are connected with a cable as the performance was terrible, even with good signal and dropping connection a lot (one computer alone was ok). On the same router, I can connect many wireless notebooks very well so the problem was with the wireless adaptors on the desktops and not with the router.

share|improve this answer

You can use a USB dongle for wireless on a desktop. I'm doing it right now. USB dongles can sometimes overheat, so I would recommend placing it in the USB port that is closest to the system fan on the case.

The other option is a PCI card. This has the disadvantage that you need to open the case up. However, they are often cheaper.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .