Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there such a thing? I don't want multiple separate desktops, what I'd like to be able to do is split my main desktop into two areas so that an application in one when maximized won't take up the "Full" physical screen, but its portion of it.

I would like to be able to keep some apps maximized, but still view others off to the side with a single monitor.


share|improve this question

closed as too broad by slhck Oct 1 '13 at 20:36

There are either too many possible answers, or good answers would be too long for this format. Please add details to narrow the answer set or to isolate an issue that can be answered in a few paragraphs.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I can see how this could be particularly useful on huge monitors. – Dennis Williamson Jul 15 '09 at 17:31
up vote 12 down vote accepted

I'm a big fan of WinSplit Revolution. It's got some great default settings for window locations/sizes, but is also fully customizable. I'm using it for coding on dual monitors, but have also used it on a single monitor and it works great for that too.

share|improve this answer

MaxTo - MaxTo is a program that lets you maximize windows to different parts of your monitor. Ideal for programmers, graphic designers and anyone else who needs to have many windows visible at once.

Works very stable.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the recommendation. :) (PS! I am the developer behind MaxTo) – Vegard Larsen Feb 18 '11 at 9:48

Are you thinking about something like Windows Snap?

I don't have a program to do that but DisplayFusion does include options to snap windows to the sides and corners of the monitor (and some clever middle-click/drag options to switch maximised windows to another monitor).

share|improve this answer
No, not quite Snap (love that feature of Windows 7 BTW). This is more dedicated "subscreen" zones. – klkitchens Jul 15 '09 at 14:42

I use a free utility called GridMove with success. It allows you to position and size windows to sections/areas of your monitors. And the templates that it uses are customizable.

I use a grid created by user 'excogitation' on the forums (look for the download links at the bottom of his post)

share|improve this answer
FYI, I've since switched to WinSplit Revolution – Jon Erickson Feb 2 '10 at 22:33

It is only a sample program for a .NET library..., but I like NeatKeys for resizing windows so that they align to each other (for presentations etc.). There are several modes (one with presets like Winsplit Revolution, one where you draw lines and then assign your windows to the existing rectangles, and one where you can just save current sizes and attach shortcuts to them). Most features can be used both by keyboard and by mouse.

share|improve this answer

I use GridMove, but I also find allSnap helpful for maximizing real estate in one-time configurations.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .