Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm not sure what to call this...

What I would like to do is have a web server that is capable of serving pages from separate servers across the internet (not a local network).

eg, If I visit http://www.example.com I will be serving data from a machine in America. If I visit http://www.example.com/ServiceB the machine will be serving from a machine in Brazil, just as http://serviceC.example.com would call the server in Canada.

What would I need to do to achieve this? Is there a name for what I'm trying to do? Logically to me this would be called a federated web server... But I cannot find anything for that on google.

share|improve this question
HaProxy ?...... –  Shiki Jul 20 '10 at 18:54
Isn't this Akamai's service? –  pjc50 Feb 10 '11 at 17:38

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think @Shiki is in the ballpark. 'proxy' or 'gateway' is where you need to search. You are not building a federate, you're acting describing more of a gateway.

Try reading up on apache mod_proxy. It may be what you are after.

share|improve this answer

Could you just make CNAME values? For instance, could http://www.example.com point to a North American server, and http://es.example.com could point to a South American server, and http://eu.example.com could point to a European server, etc.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.