I took a computer that was not updated for months. Internet was working just fine so basically, I updated zonealarm, avast and installed all windows updates and especially SP3. After that, when I reboot, Internet works fine but after few minutes, Firefox says that the connection was reset. IE does not work either. However, my connection is still up and running as I can make a ping on www.google.com for example. Here are the solutions I tried with no success so far:
1) Uninstalling SP3;
2) Uninstalling IE8 and IE7;
3) Manually setting DNS and IPs;
4) Removed proxy settings from Firefox and IE;
5) Restarting DNS and DHCP related services;
6) Reset TCP/IP with netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt;
7) Updated my ehternet card driver;
8) Restarted, tweaked all the connections in any directions and any configuration possible I believe;
9) Disabled Zone Alarm and Avast;
Also, update kb981793 always fails on install.
Please, help me as I spent two days already on this and I cannot find any solution. If I cannot fix this problem tomorrow, I will have to format-reinstall everything.
Thanks for any help.