I have four kids and they are getting older and two of them now have an iPod. My wife and I also have iPods. To complicate things we have multiple PCs around the home, the topology is something like:
PCs OS Users Husband PC Win7 Husband Shared PC1 Win7 Wife, child1,2,3,4 Shared PC2 Mac OSX Wife, child1,2,3,4 Child1 PC Win7 Child1 Child2 PC Win7 Child2 FileServer Win2008R2 everyone (over the network)
Users with iPods: Husband, Wife, Child1, Child2
I'm not really sure how I am supposed to manage all this, it's doing my head in. I don't really care which music program I use (i'm getting a bit sick of iTunes), however I don't know of an alternative that syncs easily with iPods or can manage podcasts well.
- Should I have a central music store on the File Server and then point each machine to it?
- How would that work if music is purchased on iTunes/Amazon/Other - would all the libraries get updated?
- Where do I put the libraries?
- How would this work with multiple iPods?
- What music program should I use?
- Does each iPod need to be tethered to one machine?
EDIT: Would streaming help? Something like Windows Home Server and then stream everything to the PCs? I'm not sure how this would work with iPod syncing though.