Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 10-year old tablet computer that I picked up for a song a few years ago. It works fine for me as a wireless webcam server.

It uses a stylus and eventually I scratched the protective film letting in air bubbles, now the film is slowly separating from the device.

picture here:

enter image description here

Is the film replaceable/repairable in a DIY fashion or is it a goner? I hate to toss working tech but it's certainly not worth sending out for repair.

NOTE: The computer itself still works great, but the screen surface is no longer smooth and further stylus use just snags on the breaks and bubbles in the film.

UPDATE: It turns out the protective film is not just the thin sheet but the thicker plastic underneath as well. The adhesive is old enough to just pull up now. I tried this unsuccessfully a few years ago and stopped, thinking I might break it. A little alcohol on a cotton swab to clean away the last bits of dried adhesive and I'm good to go! Thanks for your help guys.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Try to search eBay, maybe there are some protective films for this model there. If not, then find a device with the same, or bigger screen size and trim it to fit.


I've found several on eBay for ~23.50 USD. Probably you can find it on amazon too, if you prefer it.

share|improve this answer

You can buy replacement films for products like this.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .