I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it, I'm seeking inspiration as I think it's time to re-organize my home directory structure.
My current structure
Here is my current structure:
~/dl-web ~/bittorrent ~/Desktop ~/PDF ~/work ~/school ~/free-time ~/photos ~/ <<the rest>>
- dl-web & bittorrent contains downloads from web-pages respective Bittorrent clients.
- Desktop contains files shown on my desktop in XFCE.
- PDF contains files I've printed as PDF. Mostly receipts from web pages and other web pages I really wanted to read and couldn't rely on their presence later.
- work contains everything work related.
- school contains everything related to my university studies.
- free-time contains everything I do in my spare time.
- photos, contains my photos. :-)
- There are other files and folders in ~ too (
<<the rest>>), mostly hidden configuration files which like to be in the root of the users home directory. The things which are not configuration files are only there temporarily.
- Everything work related is in its own directory. It's easy to backup and it's also easy to remove once a job is complete and delivered (I work as a consultant).
- Separating downloads from the rest of the files makes it easy not to backup them.
- Having all my spare-time stuff in it's separate directory (which in turn isn't really organized in any structured way) makes my spare time activities second class citizens in my file system. And they really shouldn't be.
- I would like to have more structure in my home directory. So that it may grow and new data which I haven't got at the moment has it's logical place to be stored. I'd like a structure I could use for ages, hopefully for the rest of my life.
Hard to solve problems
- Some files may have it's logical place at two different locations. Where should it be stored? I could have a prioritized list of locations. So that if something could be stored in ~/some/location/a and ~/some/other/location/b I would know that a has priority and that the file should be stored there.
- To have the file available in multiple locations I could use hard or symbolic links as I'm running Linux. But should I? And should I use a hard or a symbolic link?
So how do you organize your home directory? And do you have any ideal way of organizing things which you are striving for?