Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In emacs,

What do I press on my keyboard that corresponds with the keybinding.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

A- is the Alt key. Unless you have changed it from the default from within Emacs, that is Alt on the keyboard.

share|improve this answer
I thought Alt was "M" or Meta? – Nathaniel Saxe Aug 3 '10 at 7:58

If you are using a mac, A- corresponds to the command key, or the so-called Apple key. For one example of a key binding defined this way, see my answer to another question here.

share|improve this answer

A- on a windows keyboard it must be the Windows key On a Mac it is the cmd but I prefer to let cmd be the meta. So I add this line in my .emacs

(setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil)
(setq mac-command-key-is-meta t)
(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
(setq mac-option-modifier nil)
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.