Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In emacs,

What do I press on my keyboard that corresponds with the keybinding.

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

A- is the Alt key. Unless you have changed it from the default from within Emacs, that is Alt on the keyboard.

share|improve this answer
I thought Alt was "M" or Meta? – Nathaniel Saxe Aug 3 '10 at 7:58

If you are using a mac, A- corresponds to the command key, or the so-called Apple key. For one example of a key binding defined this way, see my answer to another question here.

share|improve this answer

A- on a windows keyboard it must be the Windows key On a Mac it is the cmd but I prefer to let cmd be the meta. So I add this line in my .emacs

(setq mac-option-key-is-meta nil)
(setq mac-command-key-is-meta t)
(setq mac-command-modifier 'meta)
(setq mac-option-modifier nil)
share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .