I have a new ProBook 4420s that I can't use the wifi at my office (It's my access point that I control). Other devices can use wifi here just fine, and I can use the laptop on my home wifi or other nearby access points.
I am able to connect to the access point and get an IP address, but once I have one I can't send any traffic over the connection; no pings or dns requests even, and it doesn't matter whether I try to connect to internet or internal hosts.
I'm running Win7 Pro x64, and it worked okay on Friday. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Any ideas?
When I first connect to the wifi if I look at the "Currently connected to:" list by clicking on the network item in the system tray it says:
No network access. This is after it already lists the network as "Connected" and I already have an IP address.
Also, sometimes it will instead connect and the "Currently connected to:" list will show it as
Connection Name (Unauthenticated)
No internet access.
If I set the AP to b/g mode only it doesn't even show up as an available network, which is odd because my home router does not support n at all - it's b/g only and I connect to it just fine.
Another thing: my "office" router is of the same type and configuration of several that are in student dorms on the campus where I work. I need to be sure that this will work for our students as well without requiring them to do complicated configuration steps.
I visited another building and was able to use the wifi access point in that building just fine. Same SSID, same dhcp server and IP address handed to me. Different model access point this time, though, that only supports b/g. My next step is to try in another place on the same network that supports n.
I was unable to use a similar access point in another building on campus, and replacing the access point in this building with a different model did not help. So far the only usable access points have been b/g-only. Any access point that supports n has failed. These are draft-2.0 n access points and the laptop has the final spec, so that might be part of it. But I still have trouble using those access points when configured for b/g only.
Also, I set up a static arp entry to the default gateway and it did not help. I should also mention that the main culprit here is a TrendNet TEW-639GR, but I've also had trouble talking to a Belkin F6D-4230-4 N150 and a more expensive 3Com b/g only now.
I updated the firmware one the router to the latest version, and it seemed to work briefly. However, it was only for one or two page requests before it stopped again, so I think the page might have been cached or pre-loaded by my browser. Anyway, I really think the problem is in this laptop, as this laptop had problems with a multiple routers that all work fine with other devices.