Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I type the symbol Θ (theta) on an Irish keyboard layout (mostly the same as UK layout) using Linux? Seems a lot of hassle to go copy and paste it from somewhere everytime I need it,.

share|improve this question
why don't you use the character map ? – saplingPro Aug 27 '12 at 7:49
up vote 4 down vote accepted

(removed the old unused stuff)


For Linux (Gnome), press and hold ctrl+shift, then type "u", and afterwards you enter the hex unicode value. In Linux it seems to be 398.

share|improve this answer
Just does not work for me (Ubuntu 10.04, Gnome of course) – whitequark Aug 3 '10 at 20:42
Sorry, it's ctrl+shift, not ctrl+alt – private_meta Aug 3 '10 at 20:56
Still doesn't work for me (in plain gedit); also, it's better to just fix the errors when editing because, for example, it took me three reads to notice the change. – whitequark Aug 3 '10 at 20:59
Sorry about the editing. So, when you press and hold ctrl+shift, and you press "u", do you get an underlined "u" on your screen? if so, all you have to do, while keeping the keys pressed, is enter 398. At least that is how it works for me. Did you do it like that? – private_meta Aug 3 '10 at 21:01
Ahem. Yes, the underlined "u" appears, and when I type 398 after that, theta is typed. But it does not work without the "u", and you did not mention that in your answer. Also, you do not need to keep Ctrl+Shift pressed, you can release them and press Enter after typing "398" too. – whitequark Aug 3 '10 at 21:03

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.