Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just moved into a new house and it's wired for ethernet. There's a junction box that has a "Bridged Telecom Module TM-8" in it. My cable modem's phone jack is plugged into the "Line In" on that box and their are 8 slots all running to various ports in the house. All the jacks in the house are RJ45. Is there a way to plug my old phones into these jacks or do I need to upgrade to phones that use this connection?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

You can plug standard "square" RJ14 cables into a RJ45 jack, as long as the port is wired to your phone line. It should click in. You need to figure out which ports are wired where.

share|improve this answer

As emddudley said, it should plug right in. Just make sure you get the wiring correct. Plugging a phone into a jack wired for ethernet probably won't be a problem. Plugging a network device into a jack wired into the phone system is bad. Phones ring by having a voltage sent down the line, enough to ring a physical bell on old rotary phones. Network cards don't like getting this sent to them, and may release their magic smoke.

share|improve this answer
+1 for Magic Smoke reference. – Chris Nava Aug 6 '10 at 16:31

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .