I installed a new drive in this customer's laptop about two months ago. Brand new WD1200BEVE PATA drive. The machine worked well until about a week ago. She told me it was running extremely slow, and it is.
I've installed HDTune and checked the SMART status. Everything says the drive is healthy. 0's for read/write errors, reallocated sectors, etc. When I run the benchmark, it won't exceed 1.3 MB/s! Needless to say, at that speed doing everything on this machine is taking about 20x longer.
It is so slow that the startup Windows sound lags like it can't keep up.
What I've tried:
- Booted into Safe Mode and ran the benchmark. Same issue.
- Booted into Diagnostic Mode (normal boot with only absolutely necessary services). Same issue, very slow.
- Ran ComboFix to find possible rootkits, etc. Was completely clean.
- Ran the WD DLG Tools Quick Scan which passed. I tried running the extended surface scan but considering it is going 1 MB/s it was taking FOREVER.
- Changed "Plug and Play OS" in the BIOS from Yes to No. There was no difference.
- Checked the jumpers on the drive. They are correct for Single Master.
- Booted from an Ubuntu Live CD and it runs fantastic. Like it should.
All this leads me to think the drive alone is the cause of the problems.
By the way, the machine is a Gateway model MX6426.
I'd appreciate any suggestions you may have.