Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Right now, Command+Tab and Command+Shift+Tab cycles between windows. How can I rebind this to use Alt instead of Command?

I'm looking for a native solution which doesn't require 3rd party software.

share|improve this question

I am assuming you're an experienced Windows user, based on a few things in your question. First, command+tab doesn't actually cycle between windows (like it does in Windows), rather, it activates the Application Switcher. Cycling through windows in a single application is done with command+` and command+shift+`.

This behavior can be edited in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts under Keyboard & Text Input (on 10.6).

I don't believe you can rebind the only the Application Switcher to alt+tab, but you can rebind the command key entirely to option, if you chose. Also in the Keyboard System Preferences, this is in the Keyboard tab; click the "Modifier Keys..." button to show a sheet allowing you to change modifier bindings per keyboard.

On a Mac keyboard, assuming you're using one, however, the command key is in fact exactly where alt would be on a PC keyboard, so I can't think of a good reason for wanting to change this. Maybe you're using a PC keyboard with a Mac, in which case reassigning alt to command with the "Modifier Keys..." sheet is exactly what you're looking for.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, I meant the Application Switcher, my bad. I'm using a PC keyboard, but I don't want to switch alt to command since 90% of the shortcuts are fine as they currently are. It's just this one that is bothering me at the moment. – Senseful Aug 12 '10 at 7:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.