Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My iMac died (power supply issue, out of warranty), so I took it apart to get at the HDD to recover some files. In the process, I managed to remove the LCD panel.

My question is: is it possible/does there exist an adapter that I can use to convert this panel (with an internal connector) into an external monitor that accepts a DVI input?

share|improve this question
Interesting question. I'd say if you have to ask, then no. You'd have to make or find prefabricated needed converters and such things are a bit complicated. – AndrejaKo Aug 13 '10 at 17:13
There are converter cards for this sort of thing but it's a huge pain and probably not worth your trouble. (Probably something like – Shinrai Aug 13 '10 at 18:36
What would make it a huge pain? I mean, I know that its not something that people do every day, but it seems to me like I could just buy the converter card Shinrai suggested and plug it in. I guess I would still need to find some way to get power to the panel. – Kyle Trauberman Aug 14 '10 at 18:08
I have a dead white MacBook, so this question is interesting to me too. Are the displays of iMac and MacBook comparable in the way they are connected? – ischeriad Aug 14 '10 at 21:47
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The short answer is no. The long one, probably yes, but you need extensive electrical knowledge. Here is a tutorial, but it's in french:

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .