I cannot get my desired resolution and refresh rate in Ubuntu (10.04, Lucid). I want to run at the best my poor monitor can, which in Windows (XP through 7) is 1152*864 with a refresh rate of 72Hz.
I want these setting in Ubuntu, and many grey hairs have been produced in trying to make it happen. I can get the correct resolution, but not the refresh rate.
I'm using the proprietary Nvidia drivers, which are up to date.
- I have a CRT Monitor connected to a laptop via the VGA connector.
- The monitor is a 16" AOC brand (this is all I know, and for all my efforts I cannot find the manual for it from just this information).
- The graphics card is a GeForce 9600M GS
Things I've tried:
- Using the regular default drivers
- Editing Xorg.conf in all manner of ways (seems to always be ignored upon reboot. I don't get that).
- 3 days of googling
- Asking at the Ubuntu forums.
How can I do this, if I can?
Bonus points if anybody wants to explain to me how all of this works, how xorg.conf and the Nvidia program interact and such.