Setup: I have Windows 7 running inside VirtualBox on Mac OS X host. I have a shared drive with some HTML files, that I am mounting as a local drive W: in Windows, from the VirtualBox server \VBOXSVR. I want to look at them with a browser in Windows.
Chrome in Windows 7 opens and shows those HTML files just fine (file:///W:/welcome.html). But Internet Explorer does not, and shows this error instead of the files:
Internet Explorer cannot display the web page
What you can try: [button Diagnose Connection Problems]
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
- Internet connectivity has been lost.
- The website is temporarily unavailable.
- The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
- The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
- If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.
For the internet zone in the status bar, it shows:
Internet | Protected Mode: On
IE settings are a mystery to me, and I could possibly get it to work by tweaking IE settings, but I don't know which ones.
How do I make IE show the same files that Chrome is happy to show? (Chrome showing them means that the files themselves are fine, there is something about the setup that just makes IE be a diva.)