My sister-in-law has a Dell Inspiron 545MT with Windows Vista Home Premium installed on it. Since this morning, they have the following problem;
- Booting in Normal Mode with the network cable plugged in: Windows hangs completely after logging in. The desktop (and sometimes a few start-up applications) get loaded, but then everything hangs and I have to do a hard reset.
- Booting in Normal mode without the network cable plugged in: no problem, but, as soon as I plug in the network cable the computer immediately freezes!
- Booting in Safe Mode: never a problem. Doesn't matter if the network cable is plugged in or not.
What could be the problem here? I have already tried the following;
- Run Spybot Search & Destroy and Hitman Pro
- Try turning off a lot of the services set to "Automatic"
- Reinstall network and motherboard chipset drivers