Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking to reproduce this effect on an image in Adobe Photoshop.

alt text

Not the font or the word but the way it is outlined in white, does anyone know how I can do this?

share|improve this question

migrated from Aug 4 '09 at 15:14

This question came from our site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

you can probably do that with an outerglow style on that layer with an appropriate gradient. But, not programming related. – Jimmy Aug 4 '09 at 15:13
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Just select the text (ctrl+click on layer), expand selection border by ~5px, stroke.

share|improve this answer

I think the following would be much better with Layer Styles:

  1. Add a 5px outer stroke, and make it white.
  2. Add a drop shadow. Use the spread and size sliders to adjust it until you're reasonably happy with the facsimile.
share|improve this answer
Provided the space between the outline and the letters is in fact white and not transparent. – Joey Aug 4 '09 at 16:33
You can adjust the size of the stroke to compensate for the spaces in letters. It would need to be adjusted relative to the size of the text anyways. – EvilChookie Aug 4 '09 at 18:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.