Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Windows keyboard I'm using with my Mac (Leopard), and I want to swap some keys (mainly the Ctrl, Alt, and Win keys). Is it possible?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Try DoubleCommand.

DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works. Often used to make a PC keyboard more comfortable with a Mac, swapping the Alt (Option) and Windows (Command or Apple) keys, since they are in swapped positions on Mac and PC keyboards. DoubleCommand is a quick and easy way to fix this if you use a PC keyboard with your Mac.

share|improve this answer
Works perfectly thanks! – RCIX Aug 4 '09 at 23:42
It's not a perfect solution. It's extremely limited in what you can remap. It also doesn't work well for laptops because the settings aren't mapped to a particular keyboard, it's global across all keyboards which means you need to go to system preferences every time you go mobile. – MrEvil Apr 11 '12 at 3:37

System Preference->Keyboard and mouse. In the Keyboard tab, you will see a "Modifier Keys" button in the bottom left. This will bring up a dialog that allows you to remap what your Macintosh thinks are the "Control", "Option", "Command" and "Caps Lock" keys.

share|improve this answer
Hm didnt know this thanks! – RCIX Aug 5 '09 at 5:02
this must be a relative new feature. Very nice. – neoneye Jul 26 '10 at 16:27

Check out It's got what you want and much more.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.