Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a Windows keyboard I'm using with my Mac (Leopard), and I want to swap some keys (mainly the Ctrl, Alt, and Win keys). Is it possible?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Try DoubleCommand.

DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works. Often used to make a PC keyboard more comfortable with a Mac, swapping the Alt (Option) and Windows (Command or Apple) keys, since they are in swapped positions on Mac and PC keyboards. DoubleCommand is a quick and easy way to fix this if you use a PC keyboard with your Mac.

share|improve this answer
Works perfectly thanks! – RCIX Aug 4 '09 at 23:42
It's not a perfect solution. It's extremely limited in what you can remap. It also doesn't work well for laptops because the settings aren't mapped to a particular keyboard, it's global across all keyboards which means you need to go to system preferences every time you go mobile. – MrEvil Apr 11 '12 at 3:37

System Preference->Keyboard and mouse. In the Keyboard tab, you will see a "Modifier Keys" button in the bottom left. This will bring up a dialog that allows you to remap what your Macintosh thinks are the "Control", "Option", "Command" and "Caps Lock" keys.

share|improve this answer
Hm didnt know this thanks! – RCIX Aug 5 '09 at 5:02
this must be a relative new feature. Very nice. – neoneye Jul 26 '10 at 16:27

Check out It's got what you want and much more.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .