I've seen a few questions here and on ServerFault about wireless security however none really to do with general reliability of wireless networks.
Wireless reliability issues I have come across include:
- widely variable signal strength
- good signal strength but slow data transfer
- wireless access points that drop-out or lose automatically assigned IP addresses
- conflicts with other wireless networks
- conflicts with cordless phones.
What recommendations (focusing on reliability), do people have regarding making wireless networks as reliable as possible?
I'm talking about playing with options such as:
- SSID broadcast or not
- Changing channel frequency
- Effects on reliability with and without security enabled
- Use of additonal antennas
- Location of wireless access points (ie upstairs / downstairs)
- Usage in aprtments with a large number of networks
- Proximity to other devices such as speakers, tvs and microwave ovens.
and anything else I've missed.