Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

so on Windows if you select a bunch of text lines, and press tab the text will move to the right, how can I do that on a Mac?

share|improve this question
In what application? – Nifle Aug 31 '10 at 16:54
In a text editor – Uffo Aug 31 '10 at 16:55
In notepad (on windows)when I select a bunch of lines and press the Tab-key the lines disappears. In what app does block indent when you do that? – Nifle Aug 31 '10 at 17:34

Entirely depends on the program - however most code text editors (eg. TextMate, TextWrangler etc.) accept the keyboard command Command-] to indent by one tab stop. More basic text editors such as TextEdit don't have any ability to indent at all (in Plain text mode - in rich text mode it turns it into a list).

share|improve this answer

As far as I know, Mac OS X's standard text-editing routines do not have a shortcut for block-indent. However, all worthwhile text editors support their own shortcuts for block-indent. You'll just need to look up how your favorite editor does it.

share|improve this answer

Mac OS has a very powerful text system, which allows you to define system-wide shortcuts that can do a lot. Here's a really nice overview.

The easiest way to edit the shortcuts is KeyBinding Editor. Here's a screen shot of it, with a keybinding to indent the current line on Tab alt text

Save to ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict and the next time you launch any Cocoa app your new bindings will be active.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.