I run Windows Vista.
I am looking for a relatively painless way to backup my main system disk (lets assume C: ) to an USB-mounted drive.
- The USB mounted drive has the same disk geometry as my main C: disk
- backup needs to happen automatically (i.e. through scheduled tasks) on a schedule
- If and when my main disk has a hardware failure, I should just be able to
- take out the faulty drive
- and replace it with the USB mounted drive
- and should be able to boot my Windows system as if nothing bad has happened.
Jamie Zawinski describes the my ideal system here (Look at "Option 2"), but his scheme only works on Macs.
I have seen several questions and answers on this site regarding topics that are similar, but havent quite found a topic that directly addresses my question...