I have about 10 hard drives some SATA 2 and some ATA. I would like to build a NAS box where I can use all these disks and build a hugh NAS disk. All disks together sums about 3 TB. I know that combining ATA and SATA will reduce the speed, but I don't care.
My idea is NOT having a computer on the network with a bunch of disks. My idea was to have a box where I can put all disks and that gives me the following (I don't know if this is possible, but here we go)...
- ONE disk is seen on the network
- the NAS is a kind of RAID-0, i.e., everything stored there is mirrored.
- if a drive fails, I don't lose anything.
- it sleeps when not being accessed and wakes up by lan.
- it uses ethernet and if possible has wifi too.
is there a product that matches this? If not, can it be built from scratch?