Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I got some older SCA 80 Pin SCSI hard drives that I would like to format and erase, but I do not have the old server they were once used in. Did any company ever produce a cheap USB to SCA 80 adapter? This is not for production quality or anything of the sorts. I just need it for troubleshooting and simple drive reads/formats.

I do have some older adaptec pci scsi cards with 68 pin options, so I suppose I could use that with one of those 68pin --> 80 pin adapters and accomplish this if no other options present themselves.

share|improve this question
It looks like there are none, but you can either go with your scsi card or get a 68-pin to USB adapter and a 68pin->80pin adapter and use those in combination. – JNK Sep 8 '10 at 15:50
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Do they make them? yes Are they cheap? No

See Here and Here. (They also require an addon for 80 pin adapter)

If your goal is to destroy the data, easiest way might be to destroy the drive. Powerdrill to the drive platters should do.

Otherwise, if you must access your data, it's a no-brainer to get the 80-pin adapter and use your old SCSI controller.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .