For some reason my XP laptop can not see my wireless network but my Vista laptop can see it fine. I should also say that my XP laptop can see all my neighbors' wireless networks just fine.
- How come my XP laptop does not see my wireless connection?
- Do I have to manually add my wireless network to the list?
- If so, why? Why can it see all my neighbor's wireless networks but mine?
- How can I connect my XP to my wireless network?
UPDATE I thought it would be a good idea to post more details about my setup:
band: 2.4 GHz (B+G)
- mode: AP
- SSID: Rilos
- Channel Number: 13
- Authentication type: Auto Select
- Data Rate: Auto
- Preamble Type: Long Preamble
- Broadcast SSID: Enabled
- IAPP: Enabled
- 802.11g Protection: Enabled
- RF Power: 20dBm
- Encryption: WPA2
- WPA Authentication Mode: Personal (Pre-Shared Key)
- WPA2 Cipher Suite: AES
- Wireless Access Control Mode: Disable
Router: WAN Interface
WAN Interface Setup
- WAN Access Type: DHCP Client
- Attain DNS Automatically
- MTU Size: 1492
Selected Operation Mode
In this mode, the device is supposed to connect to internet via ADSL/Cable Modem. The NAT is enabled and PCs in LAN ports share the same IP to ISP through WAN port. The connection type can be setup in WAN page by using PPPOE, DHCP client, PPTP client or static IP.static IP.
Other unselected operation modes are:
Bridgeclient, PPTP client or static IP.
In this mode, all ethernet ports and wireless interface are bridged together and NAT function is disabled. All the WAN related function and firewall are not supported.
In this mode, all ethernet ports are bridged together and the wireless client will connect to ISP access point. The NAT is enabled and PCs in ethernet ports share the same IP to ISP through wireless LAN. You must set the wireless to client mode first and connect to the ISP AP in Site-Survey page. The connection type can be setup in WAN page by using PPPOE, DHCP client, PPTP client or static IP.
Manually Added Wireless Network: Rilos
I access this information by going:
Control Panel > Network Connection > double clicking 'Wireless Network Connection' > in the section called 'Related Tasks' (left hand column, 2nd section) click 'Change advanced settings' > Wireless Network Connection Properties with 3 tabs: General, Wireless Networks and Advanced
- Connect using: acer IPN2220 Wireless Lan Card
- This connection uses the following items:
- Client for Microsoft Networks: Checked
- Intel Wireless Connection Agent: Unchecked
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks: Checked
- QoS Packet Scheduler: Checked
- AEGIS Protocol (IEEE 802.1x) v126.96.36.199: Checked
- Internet Protocol(TCP/IP): Checked
Also I have:
- Show icon in notification area when connected: Checked
- Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity: Checked
Wireless Networks tab
The box 'Use Windows to configure my wireless networks' is checked.
In the 'Preferred Networks' section there is one network named Rilos (Automatic) I click it to select it then click 'Properties' and 'Rilos Properties' window pops up.
In the Association tab I have:
- Network name(SSID): Rilos
NOTE: The name Rilos in the text field is grayed out. Can't click into it to change it.
In the 'Wireless network key' section I have:
- Network Authentication: WPA-PSK
- Data Encryption: AES
- Network key: I types my router's password/passphrase into it.
In the Authentication tab everything in there is grayed out and inaccessible.
- 'Connect when this network is in range' selected.