Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

At work we have relatively slim (about 3.5" wide) Dell PC desktop workstations. These are placed vertically (on their sides) on the floor under our desks. They're not very stable, and a coworker knocked his over today (causing it to fail to boot).

I've seen L- or wing-shaped "feet" mounts or stabilizers for other devices - routers, game consoles, etc. Are inexpensive generic ones available for workstations, and if so, where? What are these called? (I've tried several searches.) Alternately, has anyone made their own from off-the-shelf materials?

share|improve this question
This is why I don't allow my users to place computers under their desk next to their feet. – Joel Coehoorn Sep 10 '10 at 2:47
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I think you're looking for something that looks like this (from TigerDirect):

        alt text

or this:

        alt text

You may find, however, that inserting CDs/DVDs may be a bit tricky.

share|improve this answer
+1 for the first option -- hanging the machine under the desk is much better than putting it on the floor. Less dust, less feet-kicking, less cables on the floor! – Torben Gundtofte-Bruun Sep 10 '10 at 6:41

Search for "computer stand" and you'll find lots of results similar to this 3M model:

alt text

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.