Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So when I read papers in hard copy, I like to be able to mark the line that I am reading currently using a notecard, which covers up things below the line that I am reading. This keeps me from being distracted. Is there a PDF reader that has a feature like this? I realize that most of the time I could just use the bottom of the screen, but I was just wondering if there is a purpose built tool for this. I use Mac OS X, by the way.

share|improve this question
Dupe. Please don't. – user31752 Sep 17 '10 at 17:45
Sorry. I'm really only duping because Apple SE is still in beta and doesn't get as much traffic as SuperUser – David Hollman Sep 17 '10 at 18:55
Then keep the one here and delete the one there. This is a software question so Super User is a better fit anyway. – Sasha Chedygov Sep 17 '10 at 23:13
Disable auto-resize of the PDF document and resize the window. Easier than the bottom of the screen and precision scrolling, dragging the window edge = moving the card. – Daniel Beck Sep 19 '10 at 18:01
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Skim is a free app that should be able to help you with this:

Skim is a PDF reader and note-taker for OS X. It is designed to help you read and annotate scientific papers in PDF, but is also great for viewing any PDF file.

It has a Reading Bar feature that can either highlight one line with a colour of your choice, or highlight all lines but one. You can move the Reading Bar around with your mouse. I hope this helps!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.