I built a little server machine and tried the Windows Home Server. I liked it, although it did have its issues, but now the 120 days trial has expired and I'm not sure I want to stick with it.
I'm thinking I would really like to have it serve as a Media Center and a NAS, however most of my network is wireless and cabling all the way to the main TV would be pretty troublesome, so I would need it to support WiFi (I know it would reduce performance, but then again I dont mind how long it takes to back up the files, although I do care of it being able to stream files properly).
Ideally I would like to have this in the box:
- Wifi support for the Nas part
- Playback of local and shared files in the network
- Media Center should launch automatically on startup
- fast startup
- On the NAS side it should support redundant data, like WHS does
- Live Tv Tuner Be able to watch youtube, facebook videos/pictures, etc.
- DVD playback support -Remote Control Support -My mom could use it.
No-no's -Having to turn on or switch the MC software often (difficult since machine wont have mouse keyboard)
Is there any way to achieve this?
Is there any dedicated "os" that can do this, or do I have to install a combination (kind of like WHS (if it supported wireless) + MC software) or Win7 + NAS Software + MC Software
EDIT: added dvd playback