Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to change the way numlock works on my keyboard. What I want is for it to act like caps lock for my number row. His way I can type parens and other characters while programming without having to use shift to get the job done. Anybody have any advice?

share|improve this question

I think it's possible to script this entire thing via the AutoHotKey. Since you're a programmer, it should be easy for you.

And this is a really good idea, thanks! :3

share|improve this answer
Yeah, autoHotKey came to mind but I'm rarely on windows. Trying to decide on a good way to do this on linux and osx as well. Also I'm not sure how this would work as I don't have a ten key pad so numlock actually changes some letters to numbers. I'll have to look and see how you disable that. Great suggestion just not quite what I'm looking for. – Jason Tholstrup Sep 24 '10 at 22:08
@JasonTholstrup should specify OS then – n611x007 Jun 28 '12 at 8:29

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.