Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In English, it's better style to spell numbers out.

How can I make Word flag this as a grammar error or auto-correct it? (specifically 2007)

share|improve this question

Add entries into the Auto Correct to replace "1" with "one", etc.

To set these options, click on the Windows Office icon in the top left corner, and click "Word Options" on the bottom of the window.

Word Options Button

Then, click the "Proofing" tab, and select the "AutoCorrect Options" button.

AutoCorrect Options

Last, make sure the "Replace text as you type" (Green arrow) is checked. Put what you want to replace in the box that says "Replace" (Blue arrow) and what you wish to replace with in the "With" box (Orange arrow). Click the "Add" button (Dark Blue arrow).

Adding words to AutoCorrect

Put in an entry for every numerical value you wish to replace and the corresponding word, and give it a test!

share|improve this answer
This option doesn't scale though. If you want to flag <10 it's not a problem. <100 becomes an exercise in tedium to implement. <1000 (or higher) is practically impossible due to the amount of time it would suck up. – Dan Neely Sep 28 '10 at 19:35
Correct, difficult to scale up. However, I never said it would be a fast solution! :) @CrazyJugglerDrummer: If you've got the guts to give it a go, check out this article from Microsoft: You could manually add a butt-load of entries to the file itself, though... – Mistiry Sep 28 '10 at 19:52
writing a script to populate hundreds or thousands of entries into the file would be a reasonable option I suppose; assuming that the file getting huge doesn't end up causing performance issues anyway. That said your KB article is only for office 95/97. Searching on my computer I found 4 .acl files in he office12 tree but opening them in a text editor I don't think they're plain text. – Dan Neely Sep 29 '10 at 18:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .