Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

I have an Ubuntu machine that I want to have windows virtualized in with VirtualBox. Is there a specific version of Windows 7 that I have to have so that the license will allow me to virtualize it?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007 windows-7 Jun 6 at 13:34

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Any commercial license for any version of Windows 7(or any version of Windows) will work just fine.

share|improve this answer
And I believe you can use any version (win7) for 30 days even without a licence. – Nifle Sep 29 '10 at 18:09
I thought that there was more to it, something about an enterprise license or something. – Andrew Redd Sep 29 '10 at 19:14
Badges... we don't need no stinking badges. – SuperJames Sep 29 '10 at 19:58
You can even rearm windows after the 30 days have expired to get a trial period of up to 120 days. – Madison S Sep 29 '10 at 20:01
From "Q: What are the virtualization rights for Windows 7? (That is, which versions are licensed for install in virtual machines by consumers?) A: Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate can be installed in virtual environments." – Madison S Sep 29 '10 at 20:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .